We have capability to conduct high temperature, high pressure pretreatment of biomass, hydrolysis and fermentations. We prefer to build a lot of our equipment and tailor it to our needs. Over years, we have built high pressure high temperature batch/continuous reactors for hydrothermal liquefaction, biomass pretreatment, high solid enzymatic hydrolysis reactors, landfill leachate treatment cells, wetland systems and algal reactors for waste water treatment (30-1200L). We also build our own controllers using Arduinos and off the shelf sensors.
List of major equipment:
- High temperature (<350 C) and high pressure reactors (<2000 psi) of 50 and 100 mL capacity
- Fluidized sand bath, muffle furnace, convection ovens,
- Analytical mill, fermenters, centrifuges, incubators,
- Shaking and refrigerated water baths
- Steam distillation apparatus
- Photobioreactors (10L in operation) and light sources
- Two 1200 L open pond systems for treatment of industrial waste water using algae.
- Agilent HPLC (Collaboration with Dr. Ely, Dr. Chaplen and Dr. Liu) with RI, diode array and flourescent detectors.
- BioRad Fast Protein Liquid Chromatography (FPLC)
- Moelcular Devices SpectraMax Plus 384 with Multiwash + Microplate Washer
- Costech ECS 4010 CHNSO analyzer.
- Protein Electrophoresis for SDS Page analysis.
- Particle size analyzer.
- Optical microscope with imaging facility.
- Licor PAR meters
- Ankom XT15 crude fat analysis.
- MATLAB, GAMS, Super Pro Designer, GREET, OpenLCA
In addition to these equipment in our Lab, there are many central facilities at OSU that provide advanced analytical equipment such as microarray analysis, SEM and TEM.