New Ecampus Course
FST 327 – Introduction to Sustainable Food Processing – 3 credits
This new course uses a systematic approach to discuss the key topics in sustainable food processing and manufacturing by focusing on environmental sustainability. Five major parts are covered in this course.
- Principles and assessment of sustainable food processing;
- Emerging food processing technologies and packaging that are energy efficient and environmentally friendly;
- Strategies to improve sustainable processing and manufacturing in 6 different food sectors, including dairy, meat, seafood, fresh-cut fruit and vegetables, beverage and food grain;
- Sustainable manufacturing operations by focusing on water and energy conservation, waste reduction, and byproduct utilization;
- Principles of sustainable food supply chain and sustainable cold chain.