If you read this title and wondered “where are weeks 1 thru 6?” .. you need to subscribe! Weekly reports are sent directly by email, but sometimes there is so much happening, I have to do a mid-week update via blog. This is one of those weeks!
- The cabbage looper outbreak continues, with trap counts averaging 1000 times higher than normal. Yes, you read that right.
- 12-spot beetles. You see ’em, you know ’em, but did you know they can be devastating underground pests? The pictures below were taken this week on spinach for seed and seedling spinach (yes, there’s a difference).
- As adults, beetles chew on foliage, flowers, fruit, corn silks, etc.
- As larvae, grubs chew on and tunnel through roots.
- For more info about 12-spots, click here; or branch out a bit and learn about the whole rootworm complex that plagues regional growers and gardeners.