Laurie Harrer

MS Fall 2017 (now instructor at Oregon State University – Cascades) I have worked in various fish and wildlife positions across the Western United States. I worked for the Birds and Burns project at Montana State University where I earned my B.S. in Fish and Wildlife Science. After graduating, I interned at an environmental consulting […]

March 10, 2021

MS Fall 2017 (now instructor at Oregon State University – Cascades)

I have worked in various fish and wildlife positions across the Western United States. I worked for the Birds and Burns project at Montana State University where I earned my B.S. in Fish and Wildlife Science. After graduating, I interned at an environmental consulting company in Tucson, AZ, where I participated in a wide variety of avian, reptilian and plant surveys. Over the last couple of years I have been working at a pharmaceutical research and development company in Bend, Oregon, but I am very excited to get back into wildlife at OSU.

My Master’s project in the Levi lab focuses on bears’ roles as seed dispersers in the Southeastern Alaskan ecosystem. Specifically, I am using qualitative and quantitative methods to determine which species consumes the largest proportion of berries from the widely dispersed shrub, Oplopanax horridus (Devil’s club). Due to the nature in which bears consume O. horridus, I am also researching this shrub’s potential to noninvasively monitor bear movement and density in this habitat.

CATEGORIES: People