Megan Sabal

Postdoctoral Research Associate I am passionate about combining applied aquatic research with ecologically broad theory to inform conservation and management. My research has focused on the intersection of predation and migration in aquatic environments and how humans modify these interactions. I use diverse approaches including experiments, observational data, models, and syntheses to scale from individual […]

October 16, 2022

Postdoctoral Research Associate

I am passionate about combining applied aquatic research with ecologically broad theory to inform conservation and management. My research has focused on the intersection of predation and migration in aquatic environments and how humans modify these interactions. I use diverse approaches including experiments, observational data, models, and syntheses to scale from individual predator-prey interactions to population and ecosystem consequences. I have examined patterns of juvenile salmon mortality and behavior as influenced by habitat and hatchery practices, and how seascape features influence salmon foraging, growth, survival, and bycatch in the ocean. I value thinking big picture and have created new conceptual theory and a review of predator effects on migratory prey relevant across taxa.

I obtained my undergraduate degree in Environmental Science from Miami University of Ohio and Masters and PhD degrees in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology from the University of California Santa Cruz. I am currently a postdoc in the Levi lab studying Chinook salmon bycatch in the Pacific hake fishery. In my free time, I enjoy biking, baking, and cheering on my hometown Chicago sports teams.

CATEGORIES: People